ENVIGADO, COLOMBIA and EMERYVILLE, CA--(Marketwired - May 27, 2014) - The Alliance for Responsible Mining (ARM) and SCS Global Services (SCS) announced the signing of a contract authorizing SCS to deliver third-party auditing and certification services to operators and licensees to verify the supply chain of buyers, distributors, jewelry makers and other users of Fairmined gold and associated precious metals under the Fairmined Standard. Fairmined certified gold is extracted by artisanal and small-scale miners following strict requirements for environmental protection, fair labor conditions and economic development in mining communities.
The launch of the certification and auditing system for Fairmined authorized operators and licencees follows the recent publication of version 2.0 of the Fairmined Standard, which includes some important updates to provide new opportunities for artisanal and small-scale miners in the global marketplace. The Fairmined Standard for gold and associated precious metals was developed with stakeholders in the ARM network for responsible mining. It includes requirements for traceability, social and economic development, conflict mitigation, environmental protection and labor conditions.
Buyers, refiners, distributors, manufacturers and jewelers wishing to become Fairmined authorized operators and licensees will be independently audited by SCS to confirm compliance with the Fairmined requirements of traceability, accurate claims and product composition. Artisanal and small-scale mining organizations wishing to be Fairmined certified at the source are likewise audited by a third party. Once certified, these organizations receive a Fairmined minimum price for their gold and a premium, which is reinvested into community projects and improved mining operations.
"We selected SCS Global Services as our partner because of their proven expertise in third-party certification and standards development in the sustainability and ethical sourcing arena," said Ronald Koepke of the Alliance for Responsible Mining. SCS has been providing global leadership in third-party environmental and sustainability certification, auditing, testing, and standards development for three decades.
"We are pleased to have been chosen to partner with the Alliance for Responsible Mining to support its ethical mining and sourcing objectives," said Alicia Godlove, Manager of Materials Services for SCS. "ARM's strong commitment to traceability, environmental protection, ethical treatment of workers, and communities establishes an important benchmark for this industry."
The Fairmined certification and auditing system is in line with internationally recognized procedures and methodologies for third party certification and auditing systems, and provides users with transparent and comprehensive information on requirements, fees and procedures.
For more information on ARM's certification and auditing system, please contact:
- Mr. Ronald Koepke, Alliance for Responsible Mining at email@example.com
- Alicia Godlove, SCS Global Services at AGodlove@scsglobalservices.com
For press inquiries, interviews and photos please contact:
- Siri Teilmann-Ibsen, Communications Coordinator at the Alliance for Responsible Mining, (574) 322 4711, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lawrence Nussbaum, SCS Global Services, (510) 452-6822, email@example.com
About the Alliance for Responsible Mining (ARM)
- The Alliance for Responsible Mining (ARM) is an independent, global-scale, pioneering initiative established in 2004 to enhance equity and wellbeing in artisanal and small-scale mining (ASM) communities. ARM is committed to social justice and environmental responsibility as the values driving the transformation of ASM.
- ARM's vision is for ASM to become a formalized, organized and profitable activity that uses efficient technologies and is socially and environmentally responsible. ARM's work is focused on four strategic areas: Standard Setting, Producer Support, Market Development and Advocacy and Communications.
- On the local level ARM works through partners such as Cumbre del Sajama in Bolivia, Red Social in Peru and ASOMIRCOL in Colombia.
- Fairmined Gold is ethical gold extracted by Artisanal and Small-scale miners certified under the Fairmined Standard. Fairmined gold is the achievement of the world's pioneering and industry leading network of responsible Artisanal and Small-scale miners. An initiative and movement led by and for the miners. The Fairmined model is open to all market players wishing to make a positive impact on responsible mining.
- Currently almost 30 mining organizations are working towards certification in Latin America. Furthermore, ARM partners with UNIDO, GEF, FFEM and AGC to begin the certification process for ASM communities in Senegal, Burkina Faso and Mali; and in 2012 the organization began the expansion of its efforts into Mongolia.
About SCS Global Services
- SCS been providing global leadership in third-party environmental and sustainability certification, auditing, testing, and standards development for nearly 30 years.
- Its programs span a wide cross-section of industries, recognizing achievements in green building, product manufacturing, food and agriculture, forestry, retail, and more. SCS offers comprehensive certification services for responsible mining and minerals.
- SCS provides accredited services under a wide range of internationally recognized certification programs.
- SCS is a chartered benefit corporation in the State of California, and a Certified B Corp™, reflecting its commitment to socially and environmentally responsible business practices.
SCS Global Services