EFEBogotá

A car bomb attack against a military base in Cúcuta, eastern Colombia, left at least 36 injured on Tuesday, including two civilians, the defense minister said, pointing the finger at leftist rebels.

Diego Molano traveled to the capital of Norte de Santander department, bordering Venezuela, where he told reporters that, as a result of an attack at the headquarters of the 30th Army Brigade, 36 people had been injured – three of them severely, and one had undergone surgery – with 29 hospitalized.

"We reject and repudiate this vile and terrorist act which sought to attack the soldiers of Colombia," Molano said.

He pointed to the National Liberation Army (ELN) as being responsible, although it is also being investigated whether FARC dissidents, the GAO (Organized Armed Groups), are involved.