efe-epaKabul

At least eight people died and another 45 were wounded in three consecutive explosions during a cricket match held at night in the eastern province of Nangarhar in Afghanistan, an official source told EFE on Saturday.

The blasts occurred around midnight at the Spinghar cricket stadium in Jalalabad, capital of Nangarhar, where hundreds of people had gone to watch a match between local teams, according to the Nangarhar governor's spokesperson Attaullah Khogyanai.

Three improvised explosive devices exploded among the spectators leaving eight dead and 45 wounded, two more than initially reported, Khogyanai said.

Seven of those wounded are in a critical state and eight have been discharged from the provincial hospital where they were taken.

The spokesperson added that the tournament's organizer, Hedayatullah Zahir, was among the dead.

The cricket tournament was organized to coincide with Ramadan and included several local teams from Jalalabad, a city that has witnessed several terror attacks in recent months.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack yet.

Nangarhar is the main bastion of the Islamic State terrorist group in Afghanistan.

Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid tweeted that they did not have a hand in the blasts.

Sports matches at night are uncommon in Afghanistan as they attract a lot of people and can be a target of terror attacks.

In September last year, four people - including a suicide attacker - died and 12 were wounded near Kabul's main cricket stadium during an important local league match, in which international players were taking part.