The defeated presidential candidate in the April elections in Indonesia was on Friday set to challenge the poll result before the Constitutional Court on grounds of alleged electoral fraud, following three days of post-poll violent disturbances in Jakarta.

Prabowo Subianto's legal team was ready with documents and proofs for the appeal before the court, his brother and spokesperson, Hashim Djojohadikusumo, told reporters.

On several occasions, the former general has accused the government and the election commission of irregularities in the electoral process both before and after the Apr.17 elections, and rejected the official counting of votes that resulted in the re-election of President Joko Widodo on Tuesday.

Widodo, popularly known as Jokowi, won 55.5 percent of the votes in the presidential elections, compared to Prabowo's 44.5 percent.

On Monday, Indonesia's election supervisory agency (Bawaslu) ruled out wide scale systematic fraud during the elections and rejected supposed evidences presented by the ex-general's team, most of which were links to internet news portals.

Calm has been restored in Jakarta following protests on the night between Tuesday and Wednesday that left at least seven dead, and hundreds injured, and led to more than 250 arrests, of which several dozens remain in detention.

However, tension prevails and more than 30,000 security forces have been deployed to protect the electoral institutes and government buildings, while several roads remain cut off.

Although in the past Prabowo had threatened to use "people power" if his demands were not met, following the disturbances he has urged demonstrators to refrain from violence and not respond to provocations.

National Police chief Tito Karnavian said the deaths were caused by gunshot wounds and blunt objects, and attributed the violence to a plan to destabilize the government.

Some of the demonstrators were carrying firearms and had received envelopes containing money, according to the police.