India on Tuesday formally accused Pakistan of killing three of its soldiers, and of over 1,500 ceasefire violations along the border in the disputed territory of Kashmir this year.
"A senior official in the High Commission for Pakistan in New Delhi was summoned to the Ministry of External Affairs and a demarche was made, lodging strong protest at the fatal casualties of Indian soldiers during an attempted cross border infiltration on Oct. 21, 2018," the Indian foreign ministry said in a statement.
India "condemned in the strongest terms such provocative action by Pakistan, which reveals their complicity in aiding and abetting terrorism and exposes the hollowness of Pakistan's deceitful claims to promote constructive engagement and desire for peace," the statement added.
The statement said the soldiers were killed in a shootout with two Pakistani armed intruders, who tried to enter the Sunderbani Sector in India-administered Kashmir, and asked Pakistan to "take custody of the dead bodies of its nationals."
India also expressed "grave concern at the continuing incidents of unprovoked ceasefire violations" by Pakistani forces along the Line of Control and the International Border.
"Pakistan forces have carried out 1,591 incidents of unprovoked ceasefire violations along the LoC and IB in 2018 so far," India added.
Ceasefire violations along the de-facto border between the two countries are frequent and kill dozens of civilians on both sides of the border every year.
In September, Pakistan had accused India of violating the ceasefire along the border more than 2,050 times this year, resulting in 33 civilian deaths.
The protest by the Indian government comes a day after Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan had tweeted, "It is time India realised it must move to resolve the Kashmir dispute through dialogue."
India and Pakistan claim complete sovereignty over Kashmir and have fought two major wars - along with several minor border skirmishes - over the region.