The South Korean president said Thursday that a war on the Korean peninsula would never happen again and assured that the United States would not take any military action against North Korea without Seoul's consent.
In a press conference marking his first 100 days in office, Moon Jae-in said he was confident there would never be a war in the Korean peninsula, and downplayed US President Donald Trump's comments in recent days.
"Any military action to be taken on the Korean Peninsula requires South Korea's consent (...) even if the United States takes military action outside the peninsula, it will sufficiently consult with South Korea in advance if such action may increase tension," Moon said in a statement cited by Yonhap news agency.
"The United States and President Donald Trump too have agreed to discuss any options it may take (against North Korea) with South Korea regardless of what kind of options it takes," he added.
Pyongyang last week condemned the latest UN sanctions imposed on the regime due to its repeated missile test launches, and threatened to attack the vicinity of the US territory of Guam.
President Trump responded by pledging "fire and fury" if the Kim Jong-un regime did not stop threatening the US, adding that military solutions were "locked and loaded."
President Moon insisted on Thursday that Trump's response was intended to increase pressure on Pyongyang and not a sign of imminent military action.
"I believe President Trump sought to pressure North Korea by showing a firm determination. I do not necessarily believe that showed his determination to take military options," he said.
The continuing weapon tests by Pyongyang - including the launch of two intercontinental ballistic missiles - have led to the most hostile verbal escalation in years both within and outside the peninsula.