The Philippines will accept only 103 recommendations out of the 254 suggested by the United Nations related to the controversial anti-drug war and other related human rights issues, the government said Monday.
Investigating extrajudicial killings in the anti-drug campaign launched by President Rodrigo Duterte after he took office in June last year, and allowing the UN to inspect the matter, halting the process for restoration of the death penalty and ruling out reduction in age of criminal responsibility are among the most significant proposals rejected by the Philippines.
"A careful review and inclusive consultation with inputs from various stakeholders, especially from representatives from the State's executive, legislative, and judicial departments was done, and in line with our independent foreign policy," presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella said in a press conference.
The UN Human Rights Council had urged Manila in May to incorporate these measures to check impunity, following increasing reports of extrajudicial killings by the security forces under Duterte's aggressive war on drugs.
According to estimates by several nonprofits, the anti-drug war has resulted in more than 7,000 deaths, including that of more than 3,800 alleged traffickers, criminals and drug-addicts.
On Sept. 11, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein, expressed grave concern over the president's support for a policy to kill suspects and an apparent lack of credible investigations into the executions.
The glare on the anti-drug war increased following the controversial deaths of two Philippine youth, with no apparent links to drug trafficking, by the police last month.
Under Duterte's hard-line policy, the country is also currently contemplating reducing the age of criminal responsibility from 15 to 9 years and bringing back the death penalty, with both motions pending final resolution from the country's bicameral parliament.