The Venezuelan opposition took to the streets on Thursday in eastern Caracas to pay tribute to Miguel Castillo, who was shot and killed earlier in the week at an anti-government protest.
The marchers set out from the San Ignacio de Loyola high school, which Castillo had attended and, with prayers and hymns, continued toward Las Mercedes, in the Baruta district, where he was fatally shot on Wednesday.
At the site where he was shot, people placed flowers, observed a minute of silence and held a religious ceremony for Castillo and the other people who have been killed in the wave of popular demonstrations against the Nicolas Maduro government that have beset Venezuela since April 1.
Baruta's opposition mayor, Gerardo Blyde, decreed three days of mourning in his jurisdiction and ordered flags at public buildings to be placed at half-staff to honor Castillo.
Opposition leader and Miranda state Gov. Henrique Capriles told reporters that "despite the repression," Venezuelans will not lose hope.
The Venezuelan Attorney General's Office has not said if Castillo was taking part in the demonstration on Wednesday or was simply hit by gunfire as he was passing the site.
With his death, the number of fatalities so far in the protests stands at 39.
In addition, hundreds of people have been injured and hundreds more arrested.